I’ve spent decades helping teams build great companies. For the past 10 years, I’ve also been exploring ideas about the value of work. It’s a topic I’m passionate about. To share this new thinking with you, here is the first of a series of essays published on Medium.com: “Welcome to the New Age of Work: Embracing Work for Personal Growth.”
So why does Work matter so much? Here are some highlights from the essay:
- Our evolutionary drive toward self-actualization most fully manifests in our Work.
- Work we love doing is one of life’s greatest yet grossly under-appreciated gifts.
- It is only through Work that we develop and gain access to the insights, tools, disciplines, relationships and competencies that are essential to both personal and professional growth.
- Effective and purposeful Work requires an effective and purposeful Work place.
- Ultimately, the winners will be companies that are not just committed to the betterment of the individual, but to the organization and all of its stakeholders, including society as a whole.
My hope is that this essay, and those that follow, will inspire you and help you find the gifts of work.
I invite you to join me on this journey. Subscribe to the newsletter. Follow me on Medium. Get in touch. And may you continue to build with passion, confidence and humility.